Saturday 1 November 2008

Halloween - Love it or Loathe it?


Last night (31st Oct) we had another exciting night at our martial art school with our Halloween fun night. The kids were very hyped-up and excited. I believe that I only added to the problem by providing plenty of yucky, sticky sweets as prizes.

Although in Britain Halloween has become more popular in recent years, there are those who find Halloween literally a very scary experience, especially for the older folk living on there own, like my mum. She locks her door and doesn't answer it for anyone after nightfall on this particular evening.

I have been a visitor to the USA on several occasion when Halloween has been celebrated and I have to say the Americans really do know how to have good old fashioned fun and it's a family affair.

I've never ever seen any eggs or flour being thrown or any kind of mistreatment or abusive behaviour. I'm surprised to see adults who take the event as seriously as the kids, but it's all very good humoured and entertaining.

I recall a few years back finding myself in the centre of a British city and it looked like a war zone, everything around had been pelted by eggs including cars and peoples houses and there were gangs of youths wandering the streets obviously looking for trouble.

So if you also had a Halloween party last night or went trick or treating - I hope you had fun.

No comments: