Saturday 2 January 2010

Alcohol Free Christmas


I am proud of the many achievements that I have obtained in my life so far, however I have another one to add to the list. Although this is only a small success it does mean a lot to me.

For as far back as I can remember I have always enjoyed a drink or two at Christmas and on some occasions it was more than just one or two.

Not so long back, after a few drinks I used to be the life and soul of the party, often making a complete fool of myself at the same time. The next day however I was usually like a bear with a sore head, miserable, unapproachable, a good-for-nothing so-in-so.

So this year I decided to have an 'alcohol free' Christmas/New year. The reason behind this was simple - I just didn't feel like drinking. Of course this wasn't as simple as you might think, with people indulging all around me, seemingly having a wonderful time.

I myself on the other hand found myself in a neutral mood, feeling neither happy nor sad. In fact it was interesting to observe the 'drinkers' and how they acted and re-acted in conversation. I have to say that this was enlightening experience in itself.

Although this might sound totally boring for many, and I can hear people saying "it's OK to let your hair down once in while." I just thought that this year I would test my resolve / will-power by staying alcohol-free.

So I've managed to get through the holiday period without having an alcoholic beverage. - Did I miss out, - no not really, I still had an enjoyable time going to the pub without incurring any feelings of missing out.

For those who do enjoy a drink at Christmas or any other time for that matter - 'Cheers to you all.' I just want you to know that I'm not trying to stand on any moral high-ground here by saying its not good to drink. - For me its just a personal thing

I'll probably have another drink at some point during the forthcoming year (as it's my big year) - On the other hand I might not - I'll just have to wait and see how I'm feeling

Happy New Year!



2 comments:

Rachel Ducker said...

Must say dad, very impressed you didnt touch a drop! While we all had champagne round you. Proud! x

Anonymous said...

This sums up my Christmas so far very well. I too decided to have an alcohol free Christmas after always enjoying a drink or eight. It was partly to stay healthy, partly to test my resolve but as much as anything I was just bored of the drunken antics, boorish conversations and next day tiredness and sore head. Surely there must be more to the festive period than this, I thought.

Have I missed it so far? Not really and I'd echo the "neutral mood, feeling neither happy nor sad". There is definitely a pleasure to be had in watching the drunks and getting up the next feeling fine though.

I'm already looking forward to New Years Eve and more importantly, New Years Day. To start the new year feeling hungover and crap always has seemed illogical to me.