Thursday 4 March 2010

Meditation


I've recently started to meditate again.

I'm pleased to say that I'm able to start my day with a minimum of twenty minutes meditation / concentration every morning.

I do rise a little earlier than the rest of the family to find a quiet location within my house where I'm able to position myself undisturbed from any distractions.

Sitting cross-legged on a couple of cushions, I generally close my eyes and quietly focus on my breathing. During this peaceful period I try to clear my mind of any unwanted thoughts, just bringing my attention back to my breath if my mind wanders off, which it often does quite frequently.

I do not consider myself an expert quite yet, however I believe that I understand enough of the basics of meditation to gain benefit from the practice.

Currently I'm reading a good book about meditation, written by Jack Kornfield called 'A Path With Heart'. The book describes both the fundamental principles of meditation as well as some of the more advance methods of practice.

Like anything else, I believe you can't always learn from just reading a book and the help of a good teacher is always required. Therefore I'm on the look-out for a good Meditation Teacher.

But as the saying goes "when the student is ready the Teacher will appear." Until then I'll keep sitting in silence every morning.

I shall be returning to this subject with some additional posts in the future letting you know how it's all progressing.


No comments: