Tuesday 15 July 2008

Fighting Fit At The Age Of Fifty

Today’s date is the 15th July 2008 and it’s my 48th Birthday and the day that I’ve decided to get my life back on track.

Yesterday I looked into the mirror and I got a shock - a very big shock. I asked myself does the mirror ever lie, of course it doesn’t. I have observed my reflection many times before but for some reason on this occasion and maybe it was because of my impending birthday, it suddenly hit me like a bolt out of the blue, I realised - I didn’t like what saw, I was a little out of shape.

Some of you reading this might be looking down at your own protruding abdomen and tell me that I shouldn’t worry – ‘its just middle age spread.’ There will be those of you who have already reached this milestone of becoming fifty saying ‘it’s ok just accept it and grow old gracefully.’ Well to be honest I’ve got no problem about growing old gracefully, what I am really concerned about is still being fit and healthy when I eventually arrive at fifty years of age.

Now you’re entitled to think that I might be giving myself a bit of a hard time and of course you’re absolutely right I am. But for the last thirty years I have been practising the traditional Korean martial art of Kuk Sool Won and for the past two decades I have taught martial arts to many people as a profession. You see health and fitness is a way of life for me, its what I do best, it’s basically how I earn my living.

So what has happened to me, why have I ended up becoming out of shape? Well I haven’t become particularly lazy if that’s what you’re thinking. Could it be my metabolism has slowed down, well that might be one rational explanation? However I don’t think that is the real reason for my overall condition changing. You see something major happened to me last year, something that changed my life forever, an event that we all have to face at some time or other.

I do not want to bore you with the details, but you see early last year my father became seriously ill and eventually passed away in July 2007 almost one year ago. During his prolonged illness I gradually watched him deteriorate and I have to admit that it was heartbreaking to witness.

Through this period, up until most recently my head has been in a dark cloud. I’ve shut down emotionally in order to protect my inner most feelings. This I presume is quite natural given the circumstances. I realise each individual has his or her own way in dealing with their grief. Inevitably this has taken its toll on my overall health and I have to admit I have had no interest in looking after myself. I had totally lost my focus.

You’re probably wondering why have I taken the time to write this blog? Well that’s a good question. Apart from being a good form of therapy, which allows me to once again express my feelings, I also see it as a valuable way of being able to focus my mind. Also at the same time I just might be able to help someone else who is going through a similar situation as well. I have always believed that in order to help others you have to become a shining example yourself.

So there you have it, a brief explanation why I am writing this account. I want to share with you my own hopes for the future. You will be able to follow my journey, my individual quest toward reaching fifty in good shape, mentally physically and spiritually. Thank you for taking the time to read.

Regards

Martin Ducker

1 comment:

Site Closed said...

Cool idea for a blog. My dad did something similar (minus the blog part, haha) after he had a heart attack at 49 even though he looked in good shape, now 5 or so year later he's probably fitter and healthier than I am!

Oh I stumbled across your blog by clicking the "NEXT BLOG" button at the top!

~KLEM~