Sunday 27 July 2008

On Ya Bike!

This morning I was up at the crack of dawn preparing to jump-start my new fitness regime.

My first port of call was to cycle round to see my mum. Nothing unusual for me to do this on a Sunday morning.

Today however it would be slightly different, as I would take the longer more scenic route through the heart of the Suffolk countryside, some five miles out of my way.

At 8.30am the weather was already hot and sticky and the temperature was approximately 20 degrees.

I had cycled this route many times before as a youngster and have forgotten how beautiful the Suffolk countryside was, especially at this time of year just before harvest.

I estimated that by the time I’d finished the whole route and returned home after visiting my mum I had probably cycled between six to seven miles in total. The most amazing thing, I had only met three or four cars along the way.

Fantastic. Again this reminded me of my childhood days and how cycling was once my preferred form of transport, come to think of it, back then, it was my only method of getting anywhere.

Cycling is of course an excellent way of keeping fit, but I have to say when I’m riding around the countryside it just contributes more to the enjoyment and allows me to get back in touch with my natural surroundings.

I'll keep on Riding!!!

2 comments:

Rachel Ducker said...

Looking Good on ya bike!

Anonymous said...

What a great way to keep fit!