Tuesday 29 July 2008

Victor Richard Ducker 1919 ~ 2007















Today, sadly is the first anniversary of my Father passing away, he was 87 years old.

As I think back to his funeral, many people paid tribute and remembered him for being a real kind 'gentleman' with a good heart and lovely smile. That's also how I like to remember him.

In fact I can honestly say that I can never recall a time when my dad ever became angry or upset he was always happy, especially in his later years.

When he was young man he served in the British Army during the second world-war with the Royal Artillery. During that time he did what most others had to do at the age of 18 or 19 years old, to serve their 'King and Country' in order to help make Britain and the world a better place.

As a young boy myself, I always remember my dad as being so calm and taking everything in his stride, if there was any squaring up to be done it was usually sorted out by my mother. (Maybe he'd already witnessed the worst of what human nature can dish up and decided to be at peace with himself and toward others.)

Apart from being an outstanding Father and Grandfather he was a man who could almost turn his hand to anything and his garden shed reflected just that, he collected everything including the kitchen sink. I often joked to him - that he should at least clean the shed out before he departed this life, so I didn't have to do it. We always laughed about that.

What many people didn't realise, Vic was also a superb artist. I have a collection of his work, which has never been displayed or exhibited to the public, so I thought I would pay my own little tribute to him today by showing off some of his fantastic drawings.

Can you guess what his favourite subject was?

Dad - We all miss you very much.

2 comments:

Rachel Ducker said...

We love you grandad :)

billy said...

Our Dad was the best in the world, we will never forget you, rest in peace xx love Billy and family xx