Friday 18 July 2008

Well-Man Check Up


In my occupation as full-time martial arts Instructor I consider myself very fortunate to have many wonderful students, warm friendly people who are always very kind and helpful.

One such person is Dr. Paul Squires a local GP in my hometown. Dr. Paul has helped members of my family and myself on more than one occasion with general healthcare advice etc. In fact even when Dr. Paul is practising in his martial art class he still finds time to offer advice and support to the other students. (I’m actually thinking about opening a small surgery for him at the Dojang.)

You see the thing that I’ve really noticed about Dr. Paul is nothing seems to be too much trouble. I know this for a fact, not just because he wants to gain any special favours so he gets an easier route to black belt. I have also heard from other sources that as far as GP’s go he is extremely supportive to his patients and always goes the extra mile.

I recently mentioned to the good Doctor about my thoughts and ideas for writing this blog. Knowing his expertise in the area of men’s health, I asked him if it would be at all possible for myself to undergo a general health check. The next thing I know I’m booked into his surgery ready to undergo the specific tests. - Watch out for future updates on these results.












I ask myself why is it us British men are so reluctant to visit the Doctor anyway? It’s a well-known fact that men in here in the UK are less likely to go for a health check when they have experienced a small health problem and more likely to visit an emergency clinic when something serious has developed.

So what does the well-man health check actually consist of? What I do know is that many GP’s in Britain do offer a free basic health check on the NHS. Of course you can pay for a more elaborate check via private health care. However what I recognise is that the free NHS screening covers most of the important areas, which determine whether or not you maybe harbouring any undiagnosed problems.

Before starting up any kind of new exercise regime it’s important to go for a similar health check. Enquire whether your local surgery does a health screening. You never know it could be well worth it in the long run.

No comments: