Saturday 23 August 2008

Midlife Crisis


What's the definition of a midlife crisis?

Bye-the-way this is not a joke that I'm about to tell, but something I personally feel that I might be experiencing at this particular time in my life. - Let me explain further.

You see for that past two weeks, for no particular reason, I want to purchase myself a motorbike - not just any old motorbike I might add - it's got to be a big meaty Harley Davidson.

Having initially passed my motorbike test when I was seventeen, I had been a 'biker' for many years, owning a variety of different machines.

I eventually left the world of bikes after losing three very close friends in tragic accidents, which was something hard for me to take.

Although I have not had the urge to ride a bike for over nearly thirty years, I suddenly now have this desire to get out and ride again? I ask myself - am I having a midlife crisis?

I suppose the answer is a definite - Yes!
______________________________________________________________

Midlife crisis ~ what is it?


Some health experts still suggest that midlife crisis syndrome does not exist, thankfully there are many other doctors and psychologists that do recognise it is a genuine condition.

A midlife crisis can often be triggered by either physical or hormonal reasons, some of which I have listed below.

Redundancy or divorce

Children leaving home

Death of a close relative or friend

Decline in testosterone levels

Stress and other physical ailments


Symptoms of a midlife crisis include:

Discontented with life

Feeling bored with things

Confused about who you are

Confused about where your life is going

Feeling adventurous

Lack of self-esteem

Feelings of depression

Loss of power, purpose & passion

Lack of libido

Fatigue & lethargy

Irritability

Weight gain

Although I'm not experiencing all of the above symptoms there are specific ones I can relate too; such as loss of purpose, passion and general direction in life.

I recognise that many of the above symptoms can usually be brought on with age, with general decrease in testosterone levels. However there are also psychological factors that have also contributed to the way I'm currently feeling, such as the death of my father and my daughter leaving home.

As I gain more understanding about this particular condition I will regularly update this particular post, with suggestions and possible remedies etc.

If anyone has any suggestions - I'd like to hear them.

(P.S. I know some of my 'biker' friends will suggest - 'what the heck - just go for the bike anyway'.)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know it gets my vote!!

Thats 2 votes for the bike. Yours and mine, oh and SBN Kris thats 3 votes for the bike...

the poll begins..

We all know its not a risk of an accident that will befall you because it won't get out of the garage long enough - all you'll do is smile at it and polish it some more!

chrome chrome chrome. At least we'll know what to get you for xmas! Chrome polish!