Wednesday 13 August 2008

Motivation & Goals



What motivates you? - What makes you get out of bed early in the morning, feeling totally inspired?

Well anyone who has ever been successful will tell you - it's usually about having a worthy goal or destination to aim toward.

Much has been written and talked about concerning motivation / goal setting and of course there have been many books and Cd's on the subject as well.

From a personal perspective I'm the most happiest when I've got something to aim for, when I've got something to get my teeth stuck into.

I know there is a certain philosophy that's suggest that people like myself are 'always striving - but never arriving', but you see - having a specific goal to aim for is what gets me out of bed early and keeps me up late at night, without ever feeling tired.

I have to be honest I'm inspired when writing this blog, as I can spend hours at the computer and not even notice the time fly-by. (By the way If you're still reading this particular post - thanks I appreciate it. )

You've probably realised if you're a regular visitor to my blog - my long term goal is to be fit and healthy by the time I reach fifty. (Hence the opening title.)

However in the meantime I want to share with you some of my goals I would like to achieve before I reach this particular milestone or maybe even afterwards.

I know some of my listed goals below might seem a seem a little ordinary and some a little strange, never-the-less - here they are.


1/ I desire to play somekind of musical instrument.

2/ I would like to write an interesting magazine article for a top notch magazine.

3/ I am capable of running 3 miles in under 30 minutes on my treadmill.

4/ I want to swim regularly as a valuable way of keeping fit.

5/ I would really like to learn how to play golf - properly. (I can hit the ball straight - however I have trouble getting it in the hole.)

6/ I'd love to be able to cook a variety of nutritious meals for my wife Ali and daughter Rachey(or anyone else who will dare eat them.)

7/ I am able to complete the art /drawing course I recently started.

8/ I desire to laugh a lot more (but not at myself - Although I've heard this can be very therapeutic.)

9/ To climb Ben Nevis or any large hill or mountain.

10/ To swim with Sharks (no - just kidding on this one - but it makes a change to dolphins)

11/ To visit Italy/Rome or any romantic place in Europe with my wife Ali.

12/ To learn how to ski or snowboard (unfortunately I hate the cold weather- but what the heck I'll do it anyway.)

13/ To watch a Premiership soccer match or visit the new Wembley stadium.
(My daughter went last Sunday to watch the Community Shield match and I was envious, being a life-long follower of Man Utd.)

14/ I wish to ride a Harley Davidson motorcycle

15/ To play as an extra in a movie! (maybe Jackie Chan's stunt double?)

16/To learn how to speak a different language, maybe French or Spanish?

17/ I aim to live in a lovely property next to the sea.

18/ I would like to have my own dog to take for walks.

19/ I really would like to see a UFO or visit a crop circle (again)

20/ To become more environmentally aware.

Let me ask - what excites you? What is you would like to do?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's an excellent list! I really enjoyed reading that post.

Gets the mind racing about all the things I want to achieve in life.

What inspired me about this post is all these wonderful things you want to achieve in your life as you are gaining fitness for fifty! My mother is 55 and VERY negative (about everything) and when she turned 50 she pretty much decided that it was time to wait and die. Awful I know - but it goes to show what a different mind set can do!

I wish you every success in achieving your list of goals.

The Team Building Adviser said...

What a great post... its nice to read your goals and hopefully we can all help you reach them!

I would also like you to cook me a meal you have plenty of my recipes to choose from!

I think this is a good thing for us all to do and you have inspired me to write my own goals!